The Atlanta Dream received the No. 4 overall pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm, which aired live on ESPN2 during halftime of Tuesday night’s Semifinals game 1 between Connecticut and Los Angeles.
The Dream will now pick in the top four for just the second time in franchise history, the fewest of the four teams in the lottery this year. Atlanta has not made a selection in the top six since they drafted Angel McCoughtry at No. 1 overall in the 2009 WNBA Draft.
“I’m disappointed we didn’t have a little more luck in the lottery tonight,” said Head Coach Nicki Collen. “At the same time, I think we can add a player who can help us going forward.”
2020 WNBA Draft Lottery Results
- New York Liberty (44.2%)
- Dallas Wings (17.6%)
- Indiana Fever (27.6%)
- Atlanta Dream (10.4%)
Atlanta received the No. 4 overall pick for the second time in franchise history. The last time the Dream held the No. 4 pick was in 2016, when they traded the pick to the Connecticut Sun for Elizabeth Williams.
Seven of the current players on the Dream’s roster were originally drafted in the first round, with four of those players – McCoughtry, Renee Montgomery, Williams and Alaina Coates – selected by lottery teams. McCoughtry and Brittney Sykes are the only two current members of the team who were selected by Atlanta in the first round.
Atlanta’s all-time first round draft picks (2008-2019)
- 1 – Angel McCoughtry (2009)
- 2 – N/A
- 3 – N/A
- 4 – TBD (2020)
- 5 – N/A
- 6 – N/A
- 7 – Brittney Sykes (2017)
- 8 – Tamera Young (2008), Ta’Shia Phillips (2011)*, Shoni Schimmel (2014)
- 9 – Chanel Mokango (2010)
- 10 – Samantha Logic (2015)
- 11 – Bria Holmes (2016), Brianna Turner (2019)^
- 12 – N/A
* The Dream traded guard Kelly Miller, the team’s 2011 No. 8 overall draft pick Ta’Shia Phillips and a first round pick in 2012 to the Mystics in exchange for Lindsey Harding and a second round pick in 2012
^ Traded to Phoenix for the Mercury’s 2018 First Round Selection, Marie Gülich
The Dream drafted Sancho Lyttle at No. 1 overall in the 2009 Houston Comets Dispersal Draft
Current Dream players originally drafted in the first round
- Alaina Coates (2017 – 2nd overall by Chicago)
- Nia Coffey (2017 – 5th overall by San Antonio)
- Marie Gülich (2018 – 12th overall by Phoenix)
- Angel McCoughtry (2009 – 1st overall by Atlanta)
- Renee Montgomery (2009 – 4th overall by Minnesota)
- Brittney Sykes (2017 – 7th overall by Atlanta)
- Elizabeth Williams (2015 – 4th overall by Connecticut)
© 2019, Eldorado2452. All rights reserved.