1) What is your name and what city do you rep?
Chantae’ Vetrice. I’m from NYC but I consider myself to be a world citizen…I can go anywhere and receive love.
2) Tell us about your latest releases, what inspired you to create them?
My newest single “I Get It” just dropped on February 5th and it’s the first of the year as I’ll be dropping a single each month along with visual content. To me, it’s just one of those songs that put you in a “I can’t be stopped” type of mood. I think right now, with all the stress of the world and uncertainty, we need a lot of energy and just a “fuck-it” mentality to make it through. It’s survival of the fittest.
3) What is unique about you and your music?Well, I’m ME…so that already makes me unique…there isn’t another Chantae’ Vetrice out there. As far as the music goes, I’ll let the audience decide what makes me unique. However, I will say this…I don’t try to come into anyone else’s lane and am in my own. Whether it be from the way I flow and then add some melodic vocals on top. At the end of the day, I’m just doing me, musically, and what feels right to me.
4) What shaped your music?I’ve always been influenced by some of the greats…TLC, Salt & Peppa, Janet Jackson, Prince…so there is definitely a lil bit of all of them in what I do. Ultimately, the life I’ve lived has shaped my music…from my travels around the world to people I’ve met, situations. Also, I come from a very musical/creative family…I have a few well-known relatives in the biz, it’s in the blood!
5) When did you realize you were going to make music professionally?
When I discovered that I couldn’t live without it and doing anything else was not an option. I have always been surrounded by music because of my family but once it became like breathing, I had to do it. Nothing makes me happier at this point in my life.
6) What type of music do you listen to?
Of course I love hip hop…from the old school to now. But I listen to EVERYTHING, even certain country artists (Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash). One day I can vibe out to Stone Temple Pilots on some hardcore rock shit and then take it The Isley Brothers. I like to think I have a pretty well-rounded ear.
7) What inspires you to write music?
Life. It’s really just that simple. Sometimes I’m not able to say what I really want to say out loud so, I put it in a song. It’s more acceptable that way, right? lol When I’m sad, I write. When I’m feeling sexy, I write. When I’m mad as hell, I write…I try to convey all of that in what I do because that’s life and music should reflect that.
8) What do you do when you don’t do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about?I love movies, I’m always streaming…especially since the pandemic. My fave is horror movies.
9) Happiness to you is…Being able to wake up and not hate the life you live. Will there be bad days? Hell yeah! But true happiness is when you wouldn’t trade your life for anything in the world even when times get tough.
10) What do you wish you were told when you first started making music that you think would help artists just starting out?
That your journey in music will be completely different from the next person. There is no magic formula to this game. Are there certain things you HAVE to do to play….absolutely! It’s just like pro sports, yeah you have to learn the technicality of the game but you make your journey to success. In the end, stay in your lane and keep going! You will get to where you need to be.
And to my black sisters in music…do what makes you creatively happy! Don’t let people dictate who you should be as an artist. As black women, we are so dynamic and should never be put in a box!
11) Tell us about your upcoming projects…
2021 I will be dropping a lot of music and content. Right now I am working on a dope project with Happy Munkey (www.happymunkey.com), a NYC based cannabis company/lifestyle brand, which is scheduled to drop in a few months. The CEO reached out to me, personally, and we are about to do something that the New York scene hasn’t really seen before. I’m extremely excited about the collaboration. Also, I am working on my own merchandise which will include fashionable masks and some apparel.
12) Where do we find your music/music projects?
I’m on all major platforms (spotify, tidal, apple, etc). Ya’ll can also follow me on IG: @chantaevetrice.
13) Any last words for the readers?
Stay safe, wash ya damn hands, wear a mask! And yeah…just know, “You ain’t gotta get ready if you stay ready.”
© 2021, Seth Barmash. All rights reserved.