All week, Red Bull Radio on Mixcloud has new content celebrating the Fly Girl era and the groundbreaking women who paved the way. From the rulebreakers of the ‘80s and ‘90s, to those making waves with their own fresh take, listeners will get access to a Fireside Chat with famed celebrity choreographer Fatima Robinson on her influences, biggest career moments and what it’s like working with Michael Jackson, Aaliyah, Sade and Pharrell – just to name a few – as well as curated Choice Mixes from hip-hop matriarch and OG Fly Girl, MC Lyte and present-day vanguards BOVA, Ms Jck and Ill Brill.
Would you be interested in sharing this news, or speaking to any of the artists? Would love to set something up with you and MC Lyte or Ms Jck for instance?
Please find a full breakdown of the programming coming this week on Red Bull Radio:
- Fireside Chat with choreography legend Fatima Robinson. Coming Thursday, 11/19 – https://win.gs/fcfatima
- Choice Mix – MC Lyte: A curated mix from another icon of fly, the trailblazing rapper, DJ and entertainer, MC Lyte. Now available – https://win.gs/cmmclyte
- Choice Mix – Ill Brill – Los Angeles-based conceptual artist, DJ and nightlife experimenter. Now available – http://win.gs/illbrill
- Choice Mix – BOVA – A Choice Mix, inspired by all of the queens who have paved the way before her as an artist and DJ. Now available – https://win.gs/cmbova
- Choice Mix – Ms Jck – LA based singer/songwriter, producer and DJ, Ms Jck celebrates the hottest female remixes from the 90s to present. Available Now – https://win.gs/cmmsjck
This week Red Bull is taking listeners on a sonic deep dive into the leading ladies of the fly girl era, from the rulebreakers and future icons of the ‘80s and ‘90s, to those breaking new ground with their own, fresh take. Listeners to Red Bull Radio can hear a Fireside Chat as well as a new set of Choice Mixes that will spotlight the fearless artists who challenged the status quo to break new ground for women in hip-hop and the entertainment business and ultimately, show what it truly means to be fly.
Introduced by the groundbreaking 1990 comedy sketch series, In Living Color, the show’s dance troupe, The Fly Girls, set the stage for future trends in dance, music and fashion overall that continue to influence culture today: In Living Color introduced the world to then Fly Girls, Jennifer Lopez and (former Lady Gaga creative director) Laurieann Gibson. Happening in tandem was the music the Fly Girls would dance to: MC Lyte, Queen Latifah and Mary J. Blige could be seen on the mic while the Fly Girls did their thing. Ultimately, the Fly Girl energy and aesthetic merged with the music to become more than its namesake TV show dance troupe, to become more of an ethos, a hook to hang all the ways young women were representing a fearless style, confidence and creative energy.
It’s keeping this history lesson in mind that Red Bull is pleased to examine Fly Girls all week long on Red Bull Radio. Starting today, fans can tune in to two special pieces of content from a pair of Fly Girl icons, both of whom were there at the movement’s birth, breaking ground onstage and behind-the-scenes: Fans can hear a self-hosted Fireside Chat with famed choreographer Fatima Robinson, one of the most in-demand choreographers working today known for her work with Aaliyah, Mary J. Blige, Michael Jackson and a Choice Mix from one of the first ladies of Fly, rap icon MC Lyte.
Also included in this new release, fans can find additional Choice Mixes from leading ladies from the West Coast: Ill Brill, Ms Jck and Bova all of whom represent an exciting, yet distinctly modern take on the distinctive, uplifting flavors of Fly.
Please find a full breakdown of the programming launching this week on Red Bull Radio:
- Fireside Chat – Fatima Robinson – From Backstreet Boys to Mary J. Blige, Pharrell and Aaliyah – Fatima Robinson has lent her skills to the world’s biggest acts. In her Fireside Chat, the legendary choreographer, dancer and director presents pivotal tracks from her career and the stories behind them. Hear how she went from dancing in LA clubs to choreographing Michael Jackson and how she got Busta Rhymes to dance like no one was watching. Coming Thursday, 11/19 – https://win.gs/fcfatima
- Choice Mix – MC Lyte – Listeners will also get a curated mix from another icon of fly, the trailblazing rapper, DJ and entertainer, MC Lyte. Beginning with her critically-acclaimed 1988 debut, Lyte as a Rock, MC Lyte’s career has spanned three decades with many accolades along the way, including the first gold single for a female rapper for 1993’s “Ruffneck.” MC Lyte’s Choice Mix is a diverse and timeless look at women in hip-hop including selections from all corners of the U.S. and abroad. As a lover of a wide range of music, MC Lyte’s Choice Mix will include both classics as well as deeper cuts listeners might not know. Available Now – https://win.gs/cmmclyte
- Choice Mix – Ill Brill – Los Angeles-based conceptual artist, DJ and nightlife experimenter, Ill Brill delivers a mix that seeks to chronicle the evolution of women through R&B and hip-hop from the past, present and today. Coming Tuesday, 11/17 – http://win.gs/illbrill
- Choice Mix – BOVA – BOVA is an international DJ and artist that travels all over the world spreading love and joy through music. In her Choice Mix, she aims to create a mix inspired by and paying homage to all of the queens who have paved the way before her as an artist and DJ. Available Now – https://win.gs/cmbova
- Choice Mix – Ms Jck – Ms Jck is an LA based singer/songwriter, producer and DJ who, in addition to recording eight independent projects with her group J*Davey and touring with legendary acts like Prince, The Roots and Erykah Badu has also penned releases for R&B sensations like Miguel, Danity Kane, and Christian Rich. Her Choice Mix, dubbed Remix La Femme will celebrate the hottest female remixes from the 90s to present. Available Now – https://win.gs/cmmsjck
© 2020, Seth Barmash. All rights reserved.